Sunday, November 17, 2019

GIS Event Day


For my GIS Day Event, I decided to do something personal and informal. This is partly due to the fact that I have a ton on my plate right now and then partly because I am a sensitive creature. I decided to invite my family to be guests for my event and shared a story map I made earlier this year about my experiences in 2018. It was an assignment where I created something really personal for myself and had not yet shown anyone (that I know personally). I wanted to share with my family that one of the reasons why I love GIS so much is how versatile it is for everything. It geographically and spatially relates ANY kind of data in a manner that drives industries. But it can also be used as a creative expression! I went to my mother’s house and showed her. I had hoped for a larger audience but Jim was hunting and my sister ended up not being able to make it. That’s ok because my Mom made me talk about GIS LOL. She works as a freight broker and said that she is glad I understand how to use GIS because it is beneficial to her. Like, when she has an oversized load and needs me to look up low clearance maps from TxDOT on arcgis, so she can route her driver properly. We had an emotional moment after she viewed my story map. She appreciated how it created a timeline of my life. Here is the link for my story map: https://arcg.is/1bXSrT




No comments:

Post a Comment