Friday, March 8, 2019

Choropleth Mapping

This week's lab we produced a choropleth map denoting the population density of European countries and their wine consumption. A choropleth map is a thematic map in which enumeration units are shaded by intensity proportional to the data values associated with those units. The data needed to be normalized by using population density versus raw population count because the latter can be deceptive when land polygons are not the same size. The eye naturally follows areas of the same color giving larger polygons undue ranking and minimizes the significance of smaller polygons. For this map, I used the Europe Albers Equal Area Conic because equal area projections are ideal for choropleth maps especially when choosing to map population density. It shows the map is displayed in true proportions to its size on Earth. For the data classification, I chose the quartile method because it included all of the classes and contained a clear breakdown of the data displayed. Some of the other classifications did not include the darkest color class. I chose a graduated color ramp of brown light to dark that is color blind friendly. Since choropleth maps display alot of data by using color, I wanted my map to be easily read by every potential user. For the wine consumption, I chose the graduated symbols because the proportional symbols overlapped my entire map. I did not normalize this data because graduated/proportional symbology represents  numerical data associated with point locations, not area. 







No comments:

Post a Comment