Sunday, March 24, 2019

Flowline Mapping

For the Module 9 lab, we employed a radial flow map to depict the migration of immigrants from around the world to the United States. The map has a spoke like pattern in nodal form with all of the flow lines ending at the same destination, the United States. For my map, I opted to go with the Flowline Basemap A with the choropleth map located in the inset map. I chose to leave the continents in place and made all of the flow lines the same red color. I used the weight point that I calculated in excel to show the proportion of the migration count from each country. I set the opacity to 75% and added a drop shadow to all of the flow lines. I chose a brown to light tan graduated color scheme for the choropleth inset map. These colors were noted in the legend in the manual breaks method with the lightest colors correlating to the lowest immigration percentage. The legend also contained the immigration totals per country in descending order to match the color legend. I changed the color scheme for the countries and chose slightly vibrant colors since it was a world map and my map was not heavily stylized.


No comments:

Post a Comment