Thursday, February 8, 2018

Sharing GIS Maps and Data-Week 4 Lab

This week I completed a GIS project by making a map listing the Top 10 Coffee Shops in Houston, Texas.This was the first assignment where we learned how to create maps and data files that can be shared with others.  I created a public map in ArcGIS Online, created a map package to be viewed in ArcMap, and created a .kmz file to open the map in Google Earth. First, I had to gather data to prepare the maps. In ArcMap, I utilized ArcCatalog to add World Countries as a layer. In ArcGIS Online, I utilized the online database and selected the ESRI World Street Maps. I learned how to create my own data file to add to the map through excel. All that was required was to list each column by rank, name, address, state, zip, and URL, and save as a .txt document. This document was added to ArcGIS Online Map to convert the table to a shapepoint file, which is geocoding! The link provided below shows the map that was created. Next, I opened the Top 10 geocoded list in ArcGIS for Desktop.Through ArcCatalog>S:\Documents>ArcGIS>WebMaps>Top 10 Houston Coffee Shops>Features.gdb, I copied and pasted into my S:\Intro2GIS>Data working folder. After dragging the features.gdb to the layer in TOC, I exported the data and saved as a shapefile. When creating the web map, I optimized the Top 10 layer for pop-ups. In ArcMap, that information is displayed in the attribute table. This is done through the Layer Properties and Field tab, where you select what features you want displayed and rename the layers accordingly (you know, take out the underscores and such). To share the map package, I selected File>Share As>Map Package, filled in the Item Description, like tags and credits, added the .txt file in additional, analyzed, and uploaded package to my ArcGIS account online. To create a .kmz file, I opened my SharingGIS_SO.mxd file in ArcMap, used the Local Search tool to access Layer to KML (conversion) tool, saved, and then copied and pasted to my Local C drive. When I downloaded Google Earth on my Desktop, I was able to open this file easily. Personally, I feel like sharing the map package is the best way to share. The user then has access to all the data and can do any kinds of edits they so choose. I did like being able to just access the online map with a link. It was relatively simple to create and analyze all the different data files and convert the maps. I hope if you are ever in the Houston area, you go get a Crud from Boomtown Coffee! Enjoy!


http://arcg.is/11uWfS

No comments:

Post a Comment